Welcome to www.n-georgia.com

Amazing Historical Attractions from Thomaston through Washington Georgia

Free Stuff To Do In Georgia Georgia Overnight Accommodations Shopping in Georgia Videos of places and things to do in Georgia Georgia Jobs and GA Department of Labor Weather in Georgia Maps of places in Georgia Contact Us Advertise in N-Georgia.com

Georgia Travel Regions
Georgia Coast and Islands
Georgia Festivals and Events
Georgia Lakes
Georgia Fishing Lakes
Georgia Rivers
Georgia Waterfalls
Georgia National Parks
Georgia State Parks
County Parks
Georgia Wildlife
Georgia U S Forests
Georgia Farmers Markets
Georgia Gardens
Georgia Civil War Sites
Georgia Historic Sites
Georgia Museums
Georgia Plantations and Observatories
Georgia Audubon Society
Georgia Covered Bridges
Georgia Driving Tours
Georgia OHV Trails
Georgia Bike Trails
Georgia Horseback Riding Trails
Ourdoor Activities Safety Tips
Georgia Tourist Centers
Explore historic sites in Thomaston, Thomasville, Thomon, Tifton, Tybee Island, Valdosta, Warm Springs, Warrenton and Washington Georgia. Stay and Play in GA!
African American Museum Cedar Row - The museum was established in an authentic three room "shotgun" house moved from King Avenue, an area among the first established as African American. The house is approximately 80 years old. Mrs. Frances Walker lived in this house for 70 years and raised a son, grandson and great-grandchildren. Open on Saturday and Sunday at 1pm for free tours. Address: 460 Cedar Row, Thomaston Georgia
Auchumpkee Creek Covered Bridge - This 1882 covered bridge was destroyed by flood in 1994. It has since been authentically rebuilt with portions of the original bridge. It is 96 feet long. Also known as Zorn's Mill. Not open to traffic. Phone: 706-647-9686 - Located on Allen Rd., off GA Hwy 19 S., Thomaston Georgia 30286
Historic Wrightsboro - The 1768 settlement was Georgia’s only Quaker community. All that remains today is the old Wrightsboro Church and cemetery, built c, 1810. By reservation only. Free admission. Amenities: Parking and Public Restrooms. Phone: 706-597-1000 – Location: Wrightsboro Rd off US 78, Thomson Georgia 30824 - Call for directions
Pettigrew-White-Stamps House is representative of the early-1800s dwellings native to this area, this is the second-oldest residence in Thomaston. Call for your reservations. Free tours. Amenities: Parking, Public Restrooms. Phone: 706-646-2437 – Address: 800 South Church St., Thomaston Georgia
Thomaston-Upson Archives covers everything from micro-film to yearbooks and dates back as early as 1824. Open: Mon.-Fri. 9a.m.-5p.m., and Second Sat. each month 9a.m.-1p.m. Free. Amenities: Parking, Public Restrooms, Accessibility for mobility-impaired. Phone: 706-646-2437 – Address: 301 S. Center St., Thomaston Georgia 30286
Pettigrew-White-Stamps House
Thomas County Museum of History - Learn about the earliest settlers of the county, the cost of the Civil War and the Victorian Resort Era in five historic buildings. Open: Call for hours and fees. Amenities: Parking, Public Restrooms, Accessibility for mobility-impaired. Phone: 229-226-7664 – Address: 19635 US Hwy. 19 N., Thomasville, 31792
Thomasville Aviation Museum: Power of the Past - Museum features a collection of antique airplanes, airplane motors and airplane memorabilia. This is the personal collection of the James Dekle Family of Thomasville Georgia . Amenities: Parking, Public Restrooms, Accessibility for mobility-impaired. Free tours. Open Sun 2-6 pm and weekdays by appointment. Phone: 229-226-3010 - Address: Thomasville Regional Airport, 882 Aviation Rd., Thomasville - Located at the Thomasville Regional Airport 7 miles northeast of town on Ga. 122.
Historic Wrightsboro - The 1768 settlement was Georgia’s only Quaker community. All that remains today is the old Wrightsboro Church and cemetery, built c, 1810. By reservation only. Free admission. Amenities: Parking, Public RestroomsPhone: 706-597-1000 – Address: Wrightsboro Rd, Thomson Georgia 30824
Pettigrew-White-Stamps House is representative of the early-1800s dwellings native to this area. It is the second-oldest residence in Thomaston. The house was built in 1833 by John E. Pettigrew. It was built as a one-and-a-half story house with a full attic. In 1840, Benjamin B. White purchased the house and added an additional bedroom, dining room, kitchen and a large verandah across the back of the residence. During the 1880s the house came into the possession of the Stamps family, who lived there until 1968. Call to make reservations for free tours. Amenities: Parking, Public Restrooms and Accessibility for Mobility-impaired - Phone: 706-646-2437 and 706-647-7088 – Address: 800 S. Church St., Thomaston Georgia 30286
Rock House was built around 1785 and is the oldest stone residence in Georgia. Daily. In Thomson, built in 1785, is said to be one of Georgia's oldest documented houses with design intact. Built by Thomas Ansley, the home is said to be the home of ancestors of former president Jimmy Carter. The design and construction are typical of the New Jersey area from which the Quakers who settled in Wrightsborough came. The house was occupied continuously until the 1930's. It is now owned by the Wrightsboro Quaker Foundation and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is also said that Rock House is haunted. Call the CVB for directions.
Phone: 706-597-1000 – Address: Rock House Rd., Thomson Georgia 30824
Auchumpkee Creek Covered Bridge
Tifton Museum of Arts and Heritage - Visitors may view art exhibits and tour the 1900s Romanesque brick church. The church features exquisite stained glass windows, heart of pine floors, vaulted ceilings and buttresses, a bell tower, fanlight doorways, and other architectural splendors. Professional exhibitions of painting, wood, porcelain, and other art are displayed throughout the year. Call for hours and tours. Free admission, but donations appreciated. Amenities: Parking, Public Restrooms, Accessibility for mobility-impaired and Party Facilities. Phone: 229-382-8576 – Address: 255 Love St., Tifton Georgia 31794
Tybee Island
Fort Pulaski National Monument is named for Cassimere Pulaski. The Battle for Fort Pulaski in April 1862 marked a turning point in military history. It featured the first significant use of rifled cannons in combat. These accurate, long-range weapons shattered Fort Pulaski's walls from over a mile away. After 30-hours of bombardment, the fort surrendered. The battle surprised military strategists worldwide, signaling the end of masonry fortifications.
Fort Screven in Tybee Island - This beach fort was built about 1875 and manned during the Spanish-American War, World War I and World War II. Amenities: Parking, Public Restrooms
Phone: 912-786-5801 – Address: 30 Meddin Dr., Tybee Island Georgia 31328
Old Savannah-Tybee Railroad Trailis located along US Hwy 80, this historic 6.5 mile crushed-stone trail follows a portion of the roadbed of a rail line that connected Tybee Island to Savannah during the late 1800's. Walkers, joggers and bicyclists enjoy a scenic tree-lined trail with excellent river views and wildlife along the waterway and marsh.
The Cockspur Lighthouse marks the South Channel of the Savannah River. It was originally constructed in 1848 and stood 25' above sea level and possessed 5 lamps which enabled it to be visible for nine miles. In 1854 the structure was destroyed by a hurricane. The tower was rebuilt and enlarged on the same foundation the next year.
The Tybee Lighthouse is located off U.S. Highway 80 at Fort Screven, visitors can climb 178 steps to the top of America's third oldest, and Georgia's lighthouse that is still working today. Enjoy a spectacular view of the entire island! The original Tybee Island lighthouse was built in 1736. At 90 foot high, it was the tallest structure of its kind in America.
The Tybee Museum is in an 1898 coastal artillery battery at Fort Screven circa 1875. The Tybee Museum has historical exhibits showing island life from colonial days and on through World War II. The Tybee Museum is open year round to the public. Even during the winter month visitors frequent trips to come and view artifacts, and to learn more about the history of our island, with a particular focus on the civil war era.
Tybee National Wildlife Refuge - Tybee NWR was established on May 9, 1938 as a breeding area for migratory birds and other wildlife. The majority of the 100-acre refuge is covered with sand deposits from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' dredging activities in the Savannah River. Tybee NWR is one of seven refuges administered by the Savannah Coastal Refuges Complex.
Fort Screven at Tybee Island
Altama Museum of Art and History - This collection includes American and European prints, 20th-century Southern paintings, Libby procelain and John James Audubon prings. The 1911 neoclassic-style Brazell House features a 260 piece Stafforshire porcelain exhibit, 20th century Southern paintings and antique prints, including 24 first-edition Audubons. Open: weekdays from 10am - 4pm. Closed Wednesday. Free Admission. Amenities: Parking, Public Restrooms, Accessibility for mobility-impaired. Phone: 912-537-1911 Address: 611 Jackson St., Vidalia Georgia
Barber-Pittman House is a stylish neoclassical residence that was built in 1915 for E. R. Barber, inventor and local Coca-Cola bottler. Considered on of the most outstanding examples of architectural design in the Southeast, the stylish residence was designed by architect Lloyd Greer and built in the 1915 for E.R. Barber, inventor and local Coca-Cola bottler. The home was later bequeathed to Valdosta citizens by Mrs. Ola Barber Pittman. The home was restored in 1979 and is now occupied by the Valdosta-Lowndes County Chamber of Commerce. Original family furnishings are on display in zebo. Open: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm. Free group tours available by reservation. Amenities: Parking, Public Restrooms, Accessibility for mobility-impaired
Phone: 229-247-8100 – Address: 416 N. Ashley St., Valdosta Georgia 31603
Crescent House & Gardens was built in 1898 by US Senator William Stanley, it got its name from the distinctive semi-circular portico design. This neoclassical structure built in 1898 was the former home of U.S. Senator William S. West and is Valdosta's most well known landmark. The house is named for its distinctive semi-circular portico design supported by 13 massive columns, representing each of the 13 original colonies. Free Guided tours. Open: Mon-Fri 2-5pm. Call for groups. Amenities: Parking, Public Restrooms, Accessibility for mobility-impaired, Party Facilities - Phone: 229-244-6747 – Address: 904 N. Patterson St., Valdosta Georgia 31601
Lowndes County Historical Society and Museum - See artifacts from early Lowndes County families and documents on county history from the settlers until today. Displays, which center on the rich culture and diverse population of Southern Georgia contain many rare and fascinating items. Whether you are interested in touring the restored railroad caboose or in ringing the bell from the first school in Valdosta, there is something to interest all ages. Call for hours and to reserve free guided tours. Amenities: Parking, Public Restrooms, Accessibility for mobility-impaired. Phone: 229-247-4780 – Address: 305 W. Central Ave., Valdosta Georgia 31601
Georgia State Cotton Museum - The history of cotton is told with farm tools, cotton bolls, periodicals, a cotton bale and other agricultural artifacts. Open Monday through Friday. Call for hours and tours. Free tours. Amenities: Parking, Public Restrooms and Accessibility for mobility-impaired - Phone: 229-268-2045 – Address: 1321 E. Union St., Vienna Georgia
Walter F. George Law Museum contains furniture and documents from the senator’s career and private life. Call for hours and free guided tours. Amenities: Parking and Restrooms. Phone: 229-268-3663 – Address: 106 N. Fourth St., Vienna Georgia
Warm Springs
FDR’s Pools and Warm Springs Museum were built by FDR and used for polio treatments from 1927 until 1942. Learn the history of the springs and feel the warm water from a basin. Open: Daily 9a.m.-4:45p.m. Phone: 706-655-5870 - Address: 401 Little White House Rd, Warm Springs Georgia 31830
Ogeechee River Mill is located on the beautiful Ogeechee River. This corn mill has been in operation since 1826. Call for hours. Free admission. Amenities: Parking
Phone: 706-465-2195 – Address: 4745 Reynolds Rd., Warrenton Georgia 30828
Kettle Creek Revolutionary War Battlefield - On Feb 14, 1779, an important battle between the British and Patriot forces forever broke the stranglehold that the British had on Georgia. Parking available. Open daily. Phone: 706-678-2013 - Address: 44 Warhill Rd., Washington Georgia
Mary Willis Library - Circa 1888 library, designed by Edmund Lind of Atlanta, features stained-glass windows and deep woods. See the lost Confederate treasure chest. Amenities: Parking, Public Restrooms and Mobility-Impaired Accessibility. Call for hours. Phone: 706-678-7736 - Address: 204 E Liberty St., Washington Georgia

Visit Georgia Historic Sites in Cities Below:
BulletAdairsville, Alpharetta, Andersonville, Ashburn & Athens

BulletAtlanta & Augusta

BulletBainbridge, Barnesville, Baxley, Blackshear, Blairsville, Blakely, Brunswick, Buchanan & Byron

BulletCalhoun, Carnesville, Cartersville, Cassville, Cedartown, Clarkesville, Clinton, Colquitt & Columbus

BulletComer, Conyers, Covington, Culloden, Cumberland Island & Cumming

BulletDahlonega, Dalton, Darien, Decatur, Demorest, Douglas, Dublin & Duluth

BulletEastman, Eatonton, Ellijay, Fayetteville, Fitsgerald, Flowery Branch, Folkston & Forsyth

BulletFort Gaines, Fort Oglethorpe, Fort Valley, Franklin, Gainesville, Glennville, Gordon, Grantville, Griffin Greensboro & Grovetown

BulletHampton, Hartwell, Hawkinsville, Hazlehurst, Helen, Hinesville, Homer, Indian Springs, Jasper, Jefferson & Jekyll Island

BulletJesup, Johns Creek, Jonesboro, Kingston, Kennesaw, Knoxville, Lakeland, Lagrange, Lexington, Louisville, Ludowici, Lula & Lumpkin

BulletMacon & Madison

BulletMarietta, Martinez, McDonald, McDonough, Midway & Milledgeville

BulletMillen, Monroe, Monticello, Moreland, Mt. Vernon & Newnan

BulletOglethrope, Oxford, Perry, Pine Mountain, Rabun Gap, Resaca, Richland, Rincon, Ringgold & Rome

BulletSandersville, Sautee, Sapelo Island & Savannah

BulletSmyrna, Springfield, Statesboro, St. Marys, Stone Mountain, St. Simons Island & Sylvania

BulletThomaston, Thomasville, Thomson, Tifton, Tybee Island, Valdosta, Vienna, Warm Springs, Warrenton & Washington

BulletWatkinsville, Waynesboro, West Point, Willacoochee, Winder, Winterville & Woodbury


BulletGA State Historic Sites

HomeFree Stuff To Do - Festivals & Events - State Parks - County Parks  - Georgia National ForestsWildlife Areas    
WRD Archery & Firearms Ranges - National Parks Services Sites - Horseback Riding Trails - OHV Trails - Bike Trails - Driving Tours
Covered Bridges - Historic Sites - Museums - Coast & Islands - Rivers - Lakes - Fishing Lakes - Waterfalls - Gardens - Planetariums -
 - Maps - Videos - Safety Tips - Dept of Labor - Privacy Policy -  Contact

Website created and Copyright ©1999 - 2017 by. All rights are reserved. Website updated on 12/1/2017