Welcome to www.n-georgia.com Augusta & Summerville National Park Service Historic Sites - These sites are great for vacations, family outings, group trips and school field trips. Some sites are free and others charge a small nominal fee. Please click on the links to more info.
Free Stuff To Do In Georgia Georgia Overnight Accommodations Shopping in Georgia Videos of places and things to do in Georgia Georgia Jobs and GA Department of Labor Weather in Georgia Maps of places in Georgia Contact Us Advertise in N-Georgia.com

Home
Georgia Travel Regions
Georgia Coast and Islands
Georgia Festivals and Events
Georgia Lakes
Georgia Fishing Lakes
Georgia Rivers
Georgia Waterfalls
Georgia National Parks
Georgia State Parks
County Parks
Georgia Wildlife
Georgia U S Forests
Georgia Farmers Markets
Georgia Gardens
Georgia Civil War Sites
Georgia Historic Sites
Georgia Museums
Georgia Plantations and Observatories
Georgia Audubon Society
Georgia Covered Bridges
Georgia Driving Tours
Georgia OHV Trails
Georgia Bike Trails
Georgia Horseback Riding Trails
Ourdoor Activities Safety Tips
Georgia Tourist Centers
Augusta Canal and Industrial District
Augusta Canal National Heritage Area/Historic Augusta Canal and Industrial District -
Visitors can float past 200 years of GA history on a replica canal cargo boat, visit the award-winning Canal Interpretive Center in a restored textile mill, view the Confederate Powderworks chimney, or hike, bike or paddle along the historic waterway.
Enterprise Mill houses interactive exhibits about the canal’s conception and construction, its role in the Civil War and its aftermath, the New South industrial growth, and electrification of the city.
King Mill - Charles Estes, company president until 1901, hired civil engineer John D. Hill to design and supervise construction of the new mill along the Augusta Canal in 1882. A year later, the mill was in operation with nearly 30,000 spindles producing cotton sheeting, shirting, and drills. Under the direction of Estes, the company prospered and by 1900, had 60,288 spindles and 1,812 looms.
Sibley Mill and Confederate Powder Works Chimney - At the beginning of the Civil War gun powder supplies for the Confederate armies were insufficient. In 1861 Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy, charged Colonel George Washington Rains with solving this issue by creating a local supply of gun powder.
Augusta Downtown Historic District
Augusta Downtown Historic District - Augusta Downtown Historic District encompasses the historic commercial area centered on Broad Street; industrial properties along the Savannah River and the railroad; and governmental, religious, and residential resources along Greene and Telfair Streets.
Academy of Richmond County - The old Academy of Richmond County is a hallmark for the Georgia public education system authorized by Georgia’s earliest legislation regarding public education. Established in 1783 as the first such institution of its kind in the State of Georgia, the academy initially held classes in a building on Bay Street beginning in 1785.
Augusta Cotton Exchange Building - Designed by Enoch William Brown, the Augusta Cotton Exchange Building was constructed in the mid-1880s at the height of both the production and trade of cotton in Augusta.
Augusta US Post Office and Courthouse is an excellent example of the Italian Renaissance Revival. This style is well suited to the concept promoted by the Federal Government in the early 20th century that government buildings should be both monumental and beautiful.
Brahe House - Built in 1850 by Frederick Adolphus Brahe, this house is an example of Sand Hills Cottage architecture in the Greek Revival style. Its construction in this style with a full English basement makes the house an unusual building in the Augusta Downtown Historic District.
The Augusta Canal
Church of the Most Holy Trinity (St. Patrick’s Church) is significant as one of the first examples in GA of the Round-Arch or Romanesque Revival style with origins in Germany.
Engine Company Number One illustrates Augusta's recognition of the need to shift from a volunteer to a paid fire department to improve public protection. Noteworthy as the first firehouse in the city constructed as a public building, it is representative of the city’s late 19th-century public buildings and of the urban, “storefront-style” firehouses of the period.
First Baptist Church of Augusta - In 1788 Andrew Bryan, a former slave, organized one of the earliest black Baptist churches in North America. Bryan began preaching while a slave in Chatham County. In 1788 he purchased his freedom and formed a congregation which was chartered under the name of First Bryan Baptist Church.
First Presbyterian Church of Augusta - First Presbyterian Church of Augusta is an excellent example of a church building that throughout its 180 years of continuous use has changed to reflect the prevailing popularity of church styles.
Gertrude Herbert Institute of Art - Completed in 1818 for an exorbitant $40,000,
the Nicolas Ware House, Ware's Folly, is an architectural showplace in Augusta. Nicholas Ware, mayor of Augusta and United States senator, built this grand Federal-style house which now is the home of the Gertrude Herbert Institute of Art.
Joseph Rucker Lamar Boyhood Home - Local stove merchant William H. Salisbury constructed the Joseph Rucker Lamar Boyhood Home in 1860.
Lamar Building - Work on what was intended to be the Empire Life Insurance Company building began in late 1913 under the direction of the Whitney Company of New York, general contractors. G. Lloyd Preacher of Augusta and W. L. Stoddard of New York were the associated architects. The building was one of the first “modern” office buildings in Augusta.
Old Government House - Old Richmond County Courthouse or Old Government House, c. 1801, is one of the oldest remaining public buildings in Augusta.
Old Medical College of Georgia - Constructed on land leased from the Trustees of the Academy of Richmond County, the Old Medical College was designed by Irish born architect Charles Blaney Cluskey, one of the nation’s earliest trained architects. It has a Greek Revival exterior with the exception of a central dome that was innovative for its day.
Sacred Heart Cultural Center - Victorian Romanesque in style with Byzantine influence, Sacred Heart Catholic Church (Sacred Heart Cultural Center) is considered one of the best examples of Victorian masonry work in Georgia. Towering twin spires, turrets, parapets, arches, and 15 distinctive styles of brickwork can be found on the building’s exterior.
Springfield Baptist Church traces its roots to the year 1773, bolstering its claim to be the oldest African American congregation in the United States.
St. Paul's Episcopal Church - that is located on the banks of the Savannah River, where in 1735, General Oglethorpe founded Georgia’s second city as a fortress and Indian trading center upriver from Savannah.
Tubman High School - Named in honor of noted Augusta philanthropist Emily Tubman, Tubman High School has played an important role as an educational institution in Augusta since its founding as Neely’s Institute in 1874.
Woodrow Wilson Boyhood Home - Although he is generally associated with Princeton University and the governorship of New Jersey prior to becoming President of the United States, Thomas Woodrow Wilson was born in Virginia and spent 13 childhood years in Augusta, Georgia.
Augusta Monument
Bethlehem Historic District
Bethlehem Historic District is significant as an intact historically African American urban neighborhood located in southern Augusta. During the 1870s, 3 families owned the area of the Bethlehem community: the Jacksons, Steiners, and Picquets. By 1876, all 3 property owners had begun to subdivide their land to accommodate new interest in settlement of the area due to its favorable location.
Harrisburg-West End Historic District
Harrisburg-West End Historic District - that is an important large residential area that grew up west of downtown Augusta from the late 18th to the early 20th centuries.
Harris-Pearson-Walker House was the first house built in the Village of Harrisburg near Augusta and the residence of its founder, Ezekiel Harris, from 1797 until about 1807. The Pearson-Walker family then owned the home from 1809 until 1873.
Academy of Richmond County-1926 Campus is a fine example of the use of Academic Gothic style for a 1926 city high school. The school on its 30-acre campus reflects what one expected a school to look like at the time.
Fruitlands/Augusta National Golf Club is the site of an antebellum plantation set on a tract of 345 acres now in the heart of Augusta’s western suburbs. Located on Washington Rd, the main commercial artery leading from Downtown Augusta to Interstate Hwy 20, the secluded and pristine ambiance inside its gates belies the suburban nature of its setting.
Meadow Garden was the home of George Walton, one of Georgia’s three signers of the Declaration of Independence.
Shiloh Orphanagewas founded by leaders of the African American community, and is now known as the Shiloh Comprehensive Community Center.
Laney-Walker North Historic District
Laney-Walker North Historic District - 2 important events triggered early development of Laney-Walker North Historic District: construction of the Georgia Railroad in 1833 and the building of the Augusta Canal from 1845-47. These activities and the industries that developed brought many laborers to the area in need of housing.
The Lucy Craft Laney Museum of Black History is dedicated to African American history and art in Augusta. The museum opened in 1991 in the former home of Lucy Craft Laney, located across from the original site of Haines Normal and Industrial Institute in the Laney-Walker North Historic District.
Tabernacle Baptist Church - Established in 1885, it is Augusta’s largest black congregation and a church with a national reputation. Its founder and first pastor, Charles T. Walker (1858-1921), was well known for his powerful preaching and for bringing the Walker Baptist Institute to Augusta in 1898.
Pinched Gut Historic District
Pinched Gut Historic District lies at the eastern end of the original City of Augusta. Name origian "Pinched Gut" is not certain, but may relate to the famished condition of residents during a 19th-century flood or the hour-glass figures of fashionable ladies in the district.
Sand Hills Historic District
Sand Hills Historic District, also known as Elizabethtown, is a historical neighborhood adjacent to Summerville Historic District. In 1887 the Augusta Chronicle described the neighborhood, referring to it as Elizabethtown, as 'a little hamlet just above Summerville.'
Summerville Historic District
Summerville Historic District is a large, affluent community and a Historic District located north of Downtown Augusta, Georgia. The district is famous for the homes of John Milledge, George Walton and Thomas Cumming.
Appleby Library is the community's connection to reading, lifelong learning, and personal and professional enrichment for people of all ages. The Library maintains an open, unbiased environment and upholds the public's right of access to information.
The Partridge Inn is a early 1800s landmark from when it was a 2-story residence for the Meigs family from Connecticut. Around 1900, Morris W. Partridge, a seasonal hotel employee in Augusta who managed the Bon Air Hotel across the street, acquired the property.
Stephen Vincent Benét House is also known as the Commandant’s House and the President’s Home. It is located on the present campus of Augusta State University. Completed by 1829, the Commandant’s House was one of the original buildings erected as a part of the United States Arsenal when it moved to this site in 1827.
 
Loading



HomeFree Stuff To Do - Festivals & Events - State Parks - County Parks  - Georgia National ForestsWildlife Areas    
WRD Archery & Firearms Ranges - National Parks Services Sites - Horseback Riding Trails - OHV Trails - Bike Trails - Driving Tours
Covered Bridges - Historic Sites - Museums - Coast & Islands - Rivers - Lakes - Fishing Lakes - Waterfalls - Gardens - Planetariums -
 - Maps - Videos - Safety Tips - Dept of Labor - Privacy Policy -  Contact

Website created and Copyright ©1999 - 2017 by. All rights are reserved. Website updated on 12/1/2017