Fun Georgia Historical Attractions From Dahlonega to Duluth Georgia Cities
Historic Gold Coins at Dahlonega Gold Museum
Enjoy intriguing historic sites in Dahlonega, Dalton, Darien, Decatur, Demorest, Douglas, Dublin and Duluth Georgia. See past treasures that you can enjoy today.
Dahlonega Gold Museum State Historic Site - Learn about our nation's first gold rush in the oldest courthouse in GA. Amenities: parking, public restrooms and accessibility for mobility-impared. Call for hours & fees. Phone: 706-864-2257 Address: 1 Public Square, Dahlonega GA
The Smith House Mine - View the newly discovered mine shaft located underneath the Smith House, and see some of its artifacts. Amenities: Parking, Public Restrooms, Accessibility for mobility-impaired, food and party facilities. Open during the restaurant hours. Phone: 706-867-7000 or toll free 800-852-9577 - Address: 84 S Chestatee St., Dahlonega Georgia
Confederate Cemetery and Memorial Wall is the site of 421 Confederate and four Union soldiers’ graves. The cemetery features a Civil-War era Confederate Cemetery with 421 graves and a commemorative wall listing the names of both Confederate and Union soldiers buried there. Architectural features include a Gothic-inspired stone chapel, a reproduction Civil War cannon and a number of exemplary obelisks, pedestals and angels, as well as a Civil War statue known as the Lone Sentinel. Open: Daylight hours. Free admission. Amenities: Parking, Accessibility for mobility-impaired. Phone: 706-270-9960, 800-331-3258 - Address: Ridge St. in West Hill Cemetery, Dalton Georgia 30720
Dug Gap Battle Park - The rock walls at this monument were used by Civil War soldiers as protection during battle.Open daylight hours; Breastworks built by Civil War soldiers during the Atlanta Campaign; Scenic view from the top of Dug Gap Mountain hiking trail. Open: Daily. Free admission. Amenities: Parking. Phone: 706-278-0217 and toll free 800-331-3258 - Address: W. Dug Gap Battle Rd., Dalton Georgia 30720 - Directions from I-75: Exit 333-Walnut Ave., west up the mountain 2 miles; park on pull-off on the right at the top of the ridge.
Hamilton House Museum Explore local history in Dalton's oldest home built in 1847. See how Dalton's carpet industry began with handmade beadspreads. Open: Tuesday through Friday at 10 am - 4 pm. Free admission. Amenities: Parking, Restrooms and Accessibility for mobility-impaired. Phone: 706-278-0217 – Address: 701 Chattanooga Ave., Dalton, GA 30720
Christ Chapel - Also known as 'The Smallest Church in America.' This charming 10x15 foot structure, was built in 1949 as a refuge for weary travelers and the land deemed to Jesus Christ. It was built entirely with private funds. It is still open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Location: Intersection of US Hwy 17 and Harris Neck Rd., Darien Georgia
Grant House - This 1840 frame dwelling was the only residence to survive the destruction of the town in 1863 by Union troops. For many years, it was the home of well-known black educator, James Grant. It is still owned by Grant family descendants. There are no tours, but you can view home from outside. Address: Ga. 99 & Rittenhouse, Darien Georgia 31305
McIntosh Old Jail Art Center and Museum - This art center has five art galleries, two calssrooms, agit shop and a county history museum in al jail built in 1888. Amenities: Parking, Public Restrooms and Accessibility for mobility-impaired. Free admission. Hours: Tues - Sat 10am to 4pm. Phone: 912-437-7711 - Address: 404 Northway, Darien Georgia
McIntosh Sugar Mill Ruins - These ruins are believed to have been built in the late 1820's. It is a tabby structure with very thick walls. At the time the sugarhouse was constructed, it is believed that thick-walled buildings such as this tabby one built by McIntosh were essential to insure the warmth needed for Superior production of sugar. Amenities: Parking and Accessibility for mobility-impaired. Open daily sunrise to sunset. Located Spur 40 (Charlie Smith Sr., Hwy.), Downtown St. Marys Directions I-95, Exit 3 to Hwy 40, St. Marys Georgia 31558
Dekalb History Center consists of the Society, the McCurdy Family Research Center and the Jim Cherry Museum. The History Center also maintains the Historic Complex located on West Trinity Place in Decatur that includes three antebellum structures: the Benjamin Swanton House, the Biffle Cabin and the Barber Cabin. Phone: 404-373-1088 - Location: Old Courthouse on the Square, 101 E Court Square, Decatur Georgia Historic Complex of Dekalb Historical Society is housed in the former courthouse in Decatur, it provides tours on DeKalb’s history and maintains a museum that has a room devoted to the Civil War. Open: Mon- Fri at 9 am - 5 pm. Phone: 404-373-1088 - Address: 720 W. Trinity Pl., Decatur Georgia 30030
Old Courthouse on the Square - This former courthouse is over 100 years old. It features the Jim Cherry Museum with a special Civil War room. Amenities: parking, public restrooms and accessibility for mobility-impared. Open Mon-Fri from 9 am - 4 pm. Free admission.Phone: 404-373-1088 - Address: 101 E Court Square, Decatur Georgia
Johnny Mize Athletic Center and Museum - Named for Baseball Hall of Famer and former Piedont player Johnny Mize, the museum features memorabilia from his career. Free admission.Open: daily 6 am - 10 pm.Amenities: parking, public restrooms and accessibility for mobility-impared. Phone: 706-778-3000 – Address: campus of Piedmont College, 165 Central Ave., Demorest Georgia 30535
Heritage Station Museum - Located in the old G&F Railroad depot, it shows the history of the railroad and local counties. Museum has fine regional art for purchase too. Amenities: parking, public restrooms and accessibility for mobility-impared. Guided tours Mon-Fri 10 am - 4 pm. $1 admission. Phone: 912-389-3461 - Address: 219 W Ward St., Douglas Georgia 31533
The Historic Ashely-Slater House is a turn-of-the-century Italianae mansion that serves as the Douglas Area Welcome Center and Chamber of Commerce.
Built in 1912 by Mr. John Marshall Ashley as a wedding present for his wife, the Ashley-Slater House is complete with moldings, beautiful woodwork, and an original mural. Visitors should drop by the get local and regional tourism information and relocation packets as well as a tour of the historic home. There are EVP recordings of ghosts sounds in this house. The Ashley-Slater House is open Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Call ahead of time to book a tour or drop by any time for travel and tourism information. Amenities: Parking, Public Restrooms, Accessibility for mobility-impaired and party facilities. Phone: 912-384-4555 - Address: 211 S Gaskin Ave., Douglas Georgia
Dublin-Laurens Museum - Built in 1094, this former library was converted in to the museum of the Laurens County Historical Society. Open: Tue-Fri 1-4:30p.m. Or by reservation. Free. Call for group tours. Amenities: Parking, Public Restrooms, Accessibility for mobility-impaired and party facilities. Phone: 478-272-9242 – Address: 311 Academy Ave., Dublin Georgia 31021
Walking Tour of Historic Downtown Dublin - A guide may be obtained from the downtown Development Authority, which includes a map of the downtown area and the history of the older structures. Phone: 478-272-2560 – Address: Downtown Dublin Georgia 31040
Southeastern Railway Museum - Old railway equipment, President Harding's private car and train rides. Call for hours. Phone: 770-476-3322 Address: 3595 Peachtree Rd, Duluth Georgia 30096