Welcome to www.n-georgia.com

Discover the Ellis, Franklin and Greene Squares in Savannah Georgia.

Free Stuff To Do In Georgia Georgia Overnight Accommodations Shopping in Georgia Videos of places and things to do in Georgia Georgia Jobs and GA Department of Labor Weather in Georgia Maps of places in Georgia Contact Us Advertise in N-Georgia.com

Home
Georgia Travel Regions
Georgia Coast and Islands
Georgia Festivals and Events
Georgia Lakes
Georgia Fishing Lakes
Georgia Rivers
Georgia Waterfalls
Georgia National Parks
Georgia State Parks
County Parks
Georgia Wildlife
Georgia U S Forests
Georgia Farmers Markets
Georgia Gardens
Georgia Civil War Sites
Georgia Historic Sites
Georgia Museums
Georgia Plantations and Observatories
Georgia Audubon Society
Georgia Covered Bridges
Georgia Driving Tours
Georgia OHV Trails
Georgia Bike Trails
Georgia Horseback Riding Trails
Ourdoor Activities Safety Tips
Georgia Tourist Centers
Ellis Square
Ellis Square in Savannah GA
This square was one of the original four squares, laid out in 1733. It was always referred to as Marketplace Square because that was its use. The square was named for Henry Ellis, second Royal Governor. On the West side of the square, the City Market complex extends for two blocks over to Franklin Square.

This is the site of the Old City Market which was demolished in the early 1950s. The loss of this structure upset residents to the extent that efforts began to prevent further losses of irreplaceable buildings.
Franklin Square
Franklin Square in Savannah Georgia
This square is located on Montgomery Street between Congress and Bryan Streets.

It was named for Benjamin Franklin who had been the Georgia Colony's agent in London.

It was laid out in 1791 and for many years the City's water tower was here so it was referred to as Water Tower or Reservoir Square.

The First African Baptist Church is located on the West side of the square and the end of the City Market complex is on the East side.

Franklin Square was restored in the 1980s.
Greene Square
Greene Square in Savannah Georgia

This square was named to honor Gen. Nathanial Greene, second in command to George Washington in the American Revolution. On the Southwest corner, the Meyerhoff house is built of Savannah Gray Brick and a sign on the house notes that these bricks were made at the Hermitage Plantation.

The Second African Baptist Church, dating to 1802 is on the West side of the square. At this church, Sherman made his famous "Forty Acres and a Mule" promise to the newly freed slaves. Also on this square is the 1801 wooden building that was the Savannah Female Orphan Asylum.
See more Savannah Squares.
Loading



Join our facebook group

Coast Travel Region Map
Colonial Coast GA Travel Region Printable Map

Bullet

GA Coast & Islands Fun:
BulletFestivals & Events
BulletFree Outdoor Activities
BulletTourist Centers
BulletTravel Region Info

HomeFree Stuff To Do - Festivals & Events - State Parks - County Parks  - Georgia National ForestsWildlife Areas    
WRD Archery & Firearms Ranges - National Parks Services Sites - Horseback Riding Trails - OHV Trails - Bike Trails - Driving Tours
Covered Bridges - Historic Sites - Museums - Coast & Islands - Rivers - Lakes - Fishing Lakes - Waterfalls - Gardens - Planetariums -
 - Maps - Videos - Safety Tips - Dept of Labor - Privacy Policy -  Contact

Website created and Copyright ©1999 - 2017 by. All rights are reserved. Website updated on 12/1/2017