Explore the enchanting historic Savannah Georgia Squares.
These scenic squares are a great place to relax and learn about Georgia's earliest history. Enjoy lovely landscapes, historical markers and statues, and wonderful walking areas. Click on the square name for pictures and info about the square.
Click on Square Names for Pictures and Information about each Savannah square.
Calhoun Square was laid out in 1851 and is one of the last squares. It is located on Abercorn Street with the cross streets being Taylor and Gordon.
Chatham Square was laid out in 1847, one of the last squares. It was named for William Pitt, the Earl of Chatham.
Chippewa Square was laid out in 1815 and named for a battle in the War of 1812. In 1820, this square was a center of nighlife as the William Jay designed theater (still there although greatly altered) was on this square.
Columbia Square features the Wormsloe Fountain in the center of the square. It was placed there in 1970 as a memorial to Augusta and Wymberly DeRenne, descendants of Noble Jones.
Crawford Square was laid out in the 1840s. It was named to honor William Harris Crawford who was Secretary of the Treasury under President Madison.
Elbert Square was named for Samuel Elbert. He was a planter and Revolutionary soldier.
Ellis Square was one of the original four squares, laid out in 1733. It was always referred to as Marketplace Square because that was its use. The square was named for Henry Ellis, second Royal Governor.
Franklin Square was named for Benjamin Franklin who had been the Georgia Colony's agent in London.
Greene Square was named to honor Gen. Nathanial Greene, second in command to George Washington in the American Revolution.
Johnson Square - In the southern section of Johnson Square in 1933, a sundial in memory of Colonel William Bull of South Carolina was erected by the Society of Colonial Wars. Colonel Bull helped choose the site of Savannah and lay it out.
LaFayette Square - In commemoration of the 250th anniversary of the founding of the colony of Georgia, in the center of LaFayette Square in 1982-83, a fountain was placed by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America.
Liberty Square was laid out in 1799. It was named to celebrate the freedom and independence gained through the Revolution and to honor the "Sons of Liberty" who fought for independence.
Madison Square was named to honor President James Madison and laid out in 1837. Around the Square stand noable examples of the Greek Revival, Gothic, and Romanesque architecture characteristics of nineteenth century Savannah.
Monterey Square In 1847, the Irish Jasper Greens, a Savannah military group, returned from the Mexican war and this name (Monterey) was given to honor one of the battles in that war. All of the buildings on this square except one (the United Way building) are original to the square.
Oglethorpe Square was laid out in 1742 and named for the founder of Georgia, James Edward Oglethorpe. In its earliest days it was referred to as the 'Upper New Square.'
Orleans Square, located on Barnard St., between Perry and Hull Streets, was laid out in 1815 and named to honor the heroes of the War of 1812.
Pulaski Square was laid out in 1837. It was named for Count Casimir Pulaski, the highest ranking foreign officer to die in the American Revolution.
Reynolds Square was named for James Reynolds, a Georgia Royal Governor. The John Wesley Monument in the center of Reynolds Square was erected by the Methodists of Georgia in in 1969 by the John Wesley Monument Committee.
Telfair Square was named St. John's Square. It was one of the most fashionable residential areas from 1733 to 1883.
Troup Square was named for George Michael Troup, Congressional Representative, Governor and Senator. On the West side of the square, there are the high stoop McDonough Row Houses, built in 1882 that were the object of one of the first historic restoration efforts in the 1960s.
Warren Square, laid out in 1791, is on Habersham Street located between Bryan and Congress Streets. It was named for General Joseph Warren, killed in the 1775 battle of Bunker Hill.
Washington Square was named for George Washington. For many years, until the mid-twentieth century, this square was the scene of the biggest New Year's Eve bonfires, many often taller than the houses around the square.
Whitefield Square is named for the Rev. George Whitefield,. He was an early minister in the colony, friend of John Wesley, and founder of the Bethesda Orphanage in 1740.
Wright Square is one of the oldest of the City's squares, laid out in 1733. It was originally called Percival Square to honor Viscount Percival, later the Earl of Egmont. It was renamed to honor James Wright, Georgia's last Royal Governor.