Welcome to www.n-georgia.com

Discover the Walkers-Peters-Langdon House in Columbus Georgia

Free Stuff To Do In Georgia Georgia Overnight Accommodations Shopping in Georgia Videos of places and things to do in Georgia Georgia Jobs and GA Department of Labor Weather in Georgia Maps of places in Georgia Contact Us Advertise in N-Georgia.com

Home
Georgia Travel Regions
Georgia Coast and Islands
Georgia Festivals and Events
Georgia Lakes
Georgia Fishing Lakes
Georgia Rivers
Georgia Waterfalls
Georgia National Parks
Georgia State Parks
County Parks
Georgia Wildlife
Georgia U S Forests
Georgia Farmers Markets
Georgia Gardens
Georgia Civil War Sites
Georgia Historic Sites
Georgia Museums
Georgia Plantations and Observatories
Georgia Audubon Society
Georgia Covered Bridges
Georgia Driving Tours
Georgia OHV Trails
Georgia Bike Trails
Georgia Horseback Riding Trails
Ourdoor Activities Safety Tips
Georgia Tourist Centers
A simple Federal cottage built in 1828, it is considered the oldest house in the original city. House dates stands on a lot surveyed as part of the original town plan.
House History and Info
Walkers-Peters-Landon House InteriorColonel Virgil Walker, a highly respected Harris County landowner, purchased the original lot for $105. The Walker family had a cotton plantation in Harris County, and this house is believed to have served as their town home. However, descendants of the Peters family have speculated that they were in fact the first inhabitants of the home. They believe Virgil Walker bought the lot as an investment.

Although there is no documentation to prove the latter theory, there exists a very persistent family tradition that Nathaniel Peters built the house in 1828 and moved in before construction was completed. Family oratory tells of how the Peters moved in prior to the windows being installed and hung blankets over the open spaces as a temporary solution. The family was anxious to move into a more populated area because Mrs. Peters feared Indians while living north of town.

Colonel Walker sold the Walker-Peters-Langdon House and lot in 1836 to Mrs. Dicey Peters. It is thought that perhaps an arrangement between Virgil Walker and Nathaniel Peters enabled Walker to hold the lot certificate as a type of mortgage security from 1828 until the lot and house were officially signed over to Mrs. Peters. In 1849, Mrs. Peter’s daughter Frances, who had married Will Langdon, obtained the house. Members of the Langdon family occupied the house for over a hundred years.

The slave cabin was moved to this site from the downtown Columbus Georgia area. 10-15 slaves would live in a house such as this. The slaves may have slept in the sleeping loft with cotton ticking spread out in a layer for comfort.

There were two slaves from Columbus who became famous. The first was a man named Horace King. His owner, John Godwin, was a bridge builder and he assisted in the construction of the bridges. They built the first bridge across the Chattahoochee River. Horace was set free when his owner had some financial difficulties, but he continued to work for the company after he was free until the death of Godwin in 1859.
Mr. King also played a major role in the rebuilding of the bridges and mills in Columbus after the War. A covered wooden bridge of Mr. King's still stands approximately 35 miles north of Columbus. He eventually served two terms in the Alabama House of Representatives following the War Between the States.

The second man was named Thomas Bethune or "Blind Tom." He was born as a blind slave in 1849. One day, at the age of eight, he was found playing the piano in the parlor. He could perfectly play any piece of music that he heard. From 1857-1890’s he toured the United States and Europe playing including performing for royalty and heads of state. He also composed music. Blind Tom had a stroke three weeks before his death. He died the day after he realized that he could no longer play the piano.

Both men are recognized by historic markers on the Black Heritage Trail of Columbus Georgia. The corn mill at City Mills on Second Avenue was built by Horace King and is still standing today, awaiting future restoration.

The Historic Columbus Foundation acquired the Walker-Peters-Langdon House in 1967. The Foundation maintained its headquarters at this property for five years.
Walkers-Peters-Landon House
House Features
It is believed to be a prefabricated house. The clapboard siding is original and the roof is covered with cedar shingles that have been restored. Many of the windowpanes are original to the house; the ripples in the hand-blown glass are clearly visible. Each window contains nine small panes on each sash. Not until advancements were made in glassmaking, in later years, do you find larger panes.

Eventually, as progression continued, houses began to boast six over six panes, four over four panes and two over two panes. The original kitchen located in the basement is flanked by fireplaces at the north and south ends which are located directly beneath the fireplaces in the two main rooms on the first floor.

The outbuildings at the Walker-Peters-Langdon House are period buildings and are similar to those that might have stood in or around the present day garden. The dovecote, the drying house, and the "necessary" were originally located on a plantation near Fort Mitchell, Alabama. The garden is planted in period flowers and herbs.
Phone & Address & Website
Phone: 706-322-0756 - Address: 716 Broadway, Columbus Georgia - Walkers, Peters, Langdon House Website
Loading


Join our facebook group

Printable Presidential Pathways Travel Region Map
Print a Presidential Pathways Travel Region Map

Bullet

Presidential Pathways:
BulletFestivals & Events
BulletFree Outdoor Activities
BulletFree Indoor Activities
BulletActivities $5 & Under
BulletTourist Centers
BulletTravel Region Info

HomeFree Stuff To Do - Festivals & Events - State Parks - County Parks  - Georgia National ForestsWildlife Areas    
WRD Archery & Firearms Ranges - National Parks Services Sites - Horseback Riding Trails - OHV Trails - Bike Trails - Driving Tours
Covered Bridges - Historic Sites - Museums - Coast & Islands - Rivers - Lakes - Fishing Lakes - Waterfalls - Gardens - Planetariums -
 - Maps - Videos - Safety Tips - Dept of Labor - Privacy Policy -  Contact

Website created and Copyright ©1999 - 2017 by. All rights are reserved. Website updated on 12/1/2017