Welcome to www.n-georgia.com Visit Augusta's Lamar Building in Augusta Georgia - Work on what was intended to be the Empire Life Insurance Company building began in late 1913 under the direction of the Whitney Company of New York, general contractors. Stay and Play in GA!
Free Stuff To Do In Georgia Georgia Overnight Accommodations Shopping in Georgia Videos of places and things to do in Georgia Georgia Jobs and GA Department of Labor Weather in Georgia Maps of places in Georgia Contact Us Advertise in N-Georgia.com

Home
Georgia Travel Regions
Georgia Coast and Islands
Georgia Festivals and Events
Georgia Lakes
Georgia Fishing Lakes
Georgia Rivers
Georgia Waterfalls
Georgia National Parks
Georgia State Parks
County Parks
Georgia Wildlife
Georgia U S Forests
Georgia Farmers Markets
Georgia Gardens
Georgia Civil War Sites
Georgia Historic Sites
Georgia Museums
Georgia Plantations and Observatories
Georgia Audubon Society
Georgia Covered Bridges
Georgia Driving Tours
Georgia OHV Trails
Georgia Bike Trails
Georgia Horseback Riding Trails
Ourdoor Activities Safety Tips
Georgia Tourist Centers
Lamar Building
G. Lloyd Preacher of Augusta and W. L. Stoddard of New York were the associated architects. The building was one of the first “modern” office buildings in Augusta. Only a shell remained after the new building was gutted by fire in the Great Augusta Fire of March 1916 that burned 32 blocks of downtown commercial and residential buildings. It was rebuilt and opened for use in 1918 overcoming many obstacles including bankruptcy of the parent company.

By this time, the building was known as the Lamar Building in honor the late Joseph Rucker Lamar, Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court, who had lived in Augusta. The Lamar Building became the Southern Finance Building in 1925, after its new owners formed the Southern Finance Corporation.

The Lamar Building has 16-floors and conforms to the basic arrangements of early 20th century multi-storied office buildings or skyscrapers. Its steel frame, reinforced with concrete and sheathed with stone, brick, and glass, and its overall form of base, tower, and cornice derive from Louis Sullivan’s formula for tall buildings as developed by the Chicago School of Architecture. Its Baroque detailing and setbacks, however, clearly identify the building as an early 20th-century manifestation of a skyscraper.

It is a large, vertical column with a 2-story base and 14-story shaft with setbacks capped by an ornate cornice. The mode of finishing the cornice was altered in 1975 when the original red tile hipped roof was replaced by a contemporary penthouse designed by I. M. Pei. This addition includes a glass room perched over an apartment.

Since its completion in 1918, the Lamar Building has been one of the most prominent office buildings in downtown Augusta and a virtual hub of local commercial and financial activities. The building can be considered a local pioneer of modern office buildings with its fireproof characteristics, elevators, and office suites.

The Lamar Building is located within the boundaries of the Augusta Downtown Historic District. It is open for free tours by appointment. To schedule call 706-564-6232.
Interesting Facts About Lamar Building
The Lamar Building was commissioned by the Empire Life Insurance Company of Atlanta. Although construction commenced in 1913, a major fire in 1916 hampered construction and forced the delay of its completion by several years.
The building is named in honor of Joseph Rucker Lamar who served as a Supreme Court Justice for the State of Georgia.
For many years the tallest building in Augusta, it was bought in 1973 by among others State Senator R. Eugene Holly. Mr. Holly commissioned the penthouse addition, built by I. M. Pei between 1974 and 1975. It features Italian marble and blue plate glass, and cost $500,000.
One the building's original service elevators dating from 1913 is still in service making it Augusta's oldest.
The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Fire Insurance maps indicate a height of 165' (50 m) to the top of the roof at the 16th floor, just beneath the penthouse addition.
Hours of Operation, Fees, Contact and Address Info
Monday through Friday at 8:30 am to 5 pm, and Saturday at 10 am to 5 pm. Free admission. Phone: 706-564-6232 - Address: 753 Broad St., Augusta Georgia
The Lamar Building in Augusta
Loading


Augusta Georgia Canal:
BulletHistory

BulletHistoric District
BulletGroup Educational and Field Trip Activities


Bullet

Visit:
BulletAugusta Georgia National Parks Sites
BulletGeorgia Coast and Islands National Parks


Bullet

HomeFree Stuff To Do - Festivals & Events - State Parks - County Parks  - Georgia National ForestsWildlife Areas    
WRD Archery & Firearms Ranges - National Parks Services Sites - Horseback Riding Trails - OHV Trails - Bike Trails - Driving Tours
Covered Bridges - Civil War Sites - Historic Sites - Museums - Coast & Islands - Rivers - Lakes - Fishing Lakes - Waterfalls - Gardens - Planetariums - Audubon Society - Farmer Markets - Travel Regions - Tourist Centers
Visitor Centers - Maps - Videos - Safety Tips  - Lodging - Shopping - Dept of Labor - Privacy Policy -  Contact

Website created and Copyright ©1999 - 2013 by Aha-Media.com. All rights are reserved. Website updated on 1/18/2013