This covered bridge,is also known as Blind Susie or Hyder Bridge. It was built in 1915 by W. M. Thomas over Grove Creek in Banks County.
At 34 feet long in length, this bridge has the distinction of being the smallest covered bridge in Georgia and one of the smallest in the United States.
This bridge can be seen from Antioch Road, but so can plenty of No Trespassing signs. Located on private property, a visit is not recommended despite the rather welcoming picnic tables and sign posted on the bridge. It was built with Kingpost truss. It is over Grove Creek.
This bridge was in service until 1969 when a nearby concrete bridge was built on the road's present alignment. In 1975 the bridge was taken apart and completely rebuilt on the banks before being lifted by a crane and placed back on its original foundations. This wooden bridge still stands on the original slab.
This bridge is often referred to as the Blind Susie or Hyder Bridge, but according to a local historian, that bridge was located on the other side of Banks County. Though it has since fallen, he said that remnants can still be seen in the creek. The real Blind Susie was a colorful woman who sat on her porch selling jars of moonshine that were hidden under her skirts.
Located Antioch Church Road off GA Highway 51, Lula, GA 30554
Directions: From Gainesville, go north on Hwy. 23, east on Hwy. 52, and north to Lula on Hwy. 51 to Antioch Road. In Lake Lanier are in the Northeast Mountains Travel Region. It is located immediately south of the town of Lula on an abandoned golf course.
Phone: Banks County Chamber of Commerce at 1-800-638-500