Drive on the historic Elder Mill Covered Bridge in Watkinsville Georgia.
Bridge Description: This Oconee County bridge was constructed in 1897 by Nathaniel Richardson in the town lattice style. It is 100 feet long. The bridge's web of planks crisscrossing at 45 to 60-degree angles are fastened with wooden pegs, or trunnels, at each intersection.
The bridge originally spanned Calls Creek on the Watkinsville-Athens Road and was moved by wagon to its present location by John Chandler of Watkinsville in 1924.
It goes over Rose Creek and has also been known as Rose Creek Bridge.
Recently restored, it is one of only a few bridges in Georgia that still carries traffic without help from underlying steel beams. Local community support is in evidence at the site with the Watkinsville Garden Club's planting at the East end of the bridge.
A neighbor decorates the bridge with Christmas lights every December.
The nearby 1900 grist mill ceased operations in 1941.
FREE to drive through anytime.
Phone: 706-769-5197 - Location: on Elder Mill Road, Watkinsville Georgia in Oconee County. Directions: From Athens, take Hwy. 441 for 9 miles south to downtown Watkinsville, go south on Hwy. 15 for 4 1/2 miles and east on Elder's Mill Road for 1 mile. In Herman Michael Park.