Factor's Walk is one of Savannah's historical downtown sites.
Now it consists of tourists' shops, attractions, a museum, restaurants, a few bars and even a hotel called the River Street Inn.
But back in 1817, it was the original site for the Cotton Exchange. The first two floors of Factors Walk were for the cotton coming into port. Then, in 1853, three more floors were added. The third floor was used for storage, and the fourth and fifth floors were offices.
Soon the whole riverfront bluff consisted of alleys and walkways. These alleys and walkways were later called Factors Walk. It was named this because the men who worked with the cotton exchange were called factors. They factored how much cotton was brought in to be sold. Thus, they were given this name.
Factors Walk was the center for most commercial activities. A network of iron and concrete walkways connected the buildings to the bluff. Factors Walk was an important part of Savannah's history for, as we all know, this city played a big role in the cotton industry for over a century.