Welcome to www.n-georgia.com Visit Jekyll Island National Parks Historic District - Jekyll Island Historic District, a National Historic Landmark administered by the state of Georgia, is situated on the southeast side of Jekyll Island. Stay and Play in GA!
Free Stuff To Do In Georgia Georgia Overnight Accommodations Shopping in Georgia Videos of places and things to do in Georgia Georgia Jobs and GA Department of Labor Weather in Georgia Maps of places in Georgia Contact Us Advertise in N-Georgia.com

Home
Georgia Travel Regions
Georgia Coast and Islands
Georgia Festivals and Events
Georgia Lakes
Georgia Fishing Lakes
Georgia Rivers
Georgia Waterfalls
Georgia National Parks
Georgia State Parks
County Parks
Georgia Wildlife
Georgia U S Forests
Georgia Farmers Markets
Georgia Gardens
Georgia Civil War Sites
Georgia Historic Sites
Georgia Museums
Georgia Plantations and Observatories
Georgia Audubon Society
Georgia Covered Bridges
Georgia Driving Tours
Georgia OHV Trails
Georgia Bike Trails
Georgia Horseback Riding Trails
Ourdoor Activities Safety Tips
Georgia Tourist Centers
Jekyll Island Historic Structures
Occupied by the Guale Indians who called the area Ospo, the island was a popular hunting and fishing site. Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe, founder of Georgia, maintained an outpost on the island, and a plantation was established by one of his officers, Maj. William Horton.

In 1794 a French family, the du Bignons, bought the island. They retained possession until 1886 when the island was sold to the newly formed "Jekyll Island Club." Considered to be the most exclusive social club in the United States, the Jekyll Island Club had a limit of 100 members, among them the Astors, Vanderbilts, Pulitzers, Morgans and McCormicks and was laid out by prominent landscape architect H.W.S. Cleveland.
A club house was built on the island and members constructed private "cottages"-- enormous residences designed to house entire families with staff. The club was open for the post-Christmas season when many families came down from Newport and New York to relax and enjoy the "country life."

In 1942 the U.S. government ordered the area evacuated. The state of Georgia purchased the island from the club in 1947 and turned it into a state park.

Most of the cottages have been preserved and are open to the public. Among them are San Souci, owned in part by J.P, Morgan and one of the first condominiums in the U.S.; Indian Mound, the twenty-five room home of the Rockefeller family; the Goodyear Cottage completed in 1906 from designs by the firm of Carrére and Hastings; Crane Cottage, circa 1917, the largest and most lavish of the cottages; the original Club House, a wood and brick Victorian structure with towers and manicured lawns; and Faith Chapel, built in 1904 in the Gothic style with copies of the Notre Dame de Paris gargoyles.

The chapel also has a large signed Tiffany stained glass window.
Location
Jekyll Island Historic District is between Riverview Drive and Old Village Boulevard on Jekyll Island. The Club House is now a fully restored hotel open to the public. The island can be reached off of US 17 and Jekyll Island Road, southeast of Brunswick.
Jekyll Island Clubhouse
Loading


Visit:
BulletCoast and Islands National Parks
BulletGeorgia Coast - Islands
BulletGA Coast Events
BulletCoast Free Things To Do
BulletGA Coast Fishing Lakes
BulletGeorgia Coast Museums
BulletGeorgia Coast Shopping
BulletGA Coast and Islands Map & Travel Region

HomeFree Stuff To Do - Festivals & Events - State Parks - County Parks  - Georgia National ForestsWildlife Areas    
WRD Archery & Firearms Ranges - National Parks Services Sites - Horseback Riding Trails - OHV Trails - Bike Trails - Driving Tours
Covered Bridges - Historic Sites - Museums - Coast & Islands - Rivers - Lakes - Fishing Lakes - Waterfalls - Gardens - Planetariums -
 - Maps - Videos - Safety Tips - Dept of Labor - Privacy Policy -  Contact

Website created and Copyright ©1999 - 2017 by. All rights are reserved. Website updated on 12/1/2017