Welcome to www.n-georgia.com Brunswick Old Town Historic District National Park - Brunswick Georgia encompasses the site of the colonial British town of Brunswick. Named after the family of King George III of England, it is one of two deep water ports on the coast of Georgia.
Free Stuff To Do In Georgia Georgia Overnight Accommodations Shopping in Georgia Videos of places and things to do in Georgia Georgia Jobs and GA Department of Labor Weather in Georgia Maps of places in Georgia Contact Us Advertise in N-Georgia.com

Home
Georgia Travel Regions
Georgia Coast and Islands
Georgia Festivals and Events
Georgia Lakes
Georgia Fishing Lakes
Georgia Rivers
Georgia Waterfalls
Georgia National Parks
Georgia State Parks
County Parks
Georgia Wildlife
Georgia U S Forests
Georgia Farmers Markets
Georgia Gardens
Georgia Civil War Sites
Georgia Historic Sites
Georgia Museums
Georgia Plantations and Observatories
Georgia Audubon Society
Georgia Covered Bridges
Georgia Driving Tours
Georgia OHV Trails
Georgia Bike Trails
Georgia Horseback Riding Trails
Ourdoor Activities Safety Tips
Georgia Tourist Centers
Brunswick Old Town Historic District Background
The town was laid out in 1771 and retains its original plan known as "Old Town" - a grid plan similar to that of Savannah Georgia's other deep water port. Brunswick Georgia contains an outstanding collection of late 19th century residential and public buildings. Among the best examples are the Hazelhurst-Taylor House (Hanover Square), the Mahoney-McGarvey House (Reynolds Street) and the Old City Hall. The town also retains many of its original sidewalks paved with unusual hexagonal stone tiles.

Brunswick, the county seat of Glynn County, was incorporated December 3, 1812. Brunswick Georgia was founded in 1771 and received its name from the King of England, George III of the House of Brunswick. Many of the street and square names reflect English heritage - Gloucester, Halifax, London, Newcastle and Prince.

Downtown Brunswick Georgia is part of the Old Town National Historic District. The heart of the downtown district is historic Newcastle Street lined with Victorian buildings, shops, art galleries and restaurants.

Brunswick Georgia tradition goes back to plantation farming, as the city did originally belonged to a settler. This history can be viewed at the Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation, where tours portray the lifestyle of Brunswick's original settlers.

Old Town Brunswick is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. General Oglethorpe founded the city of Brunswick Georgia. The city is named after the ancestral home of King George II- Braunsweig, Germany. "G" Street marks the northern boundary and 4th Avenue is the southern boundary of the Old Town Historic District. The streets lay in a grid pattern that includes 14 historic squares surrounded by several historic buildings.

Brunswick's streets and squares were laid out on Oglethorpe's Savannah Plan in 1771. George Washington proclaimed Brunswick Georgia as 1 of the 5 original ports of entry for the Colonies in 1789.

Today, Brunswick Georgia is nurtured by an ongoing revitalizion and restoration program for Georgia's second largest concentration of historic structures. Visit the bustling waterfront, home to The Liberty Ship Memorial Plaza, shrimp boats, cruise and casino ships, a marina, and vessels from around the world.

Enjoy the charms of Old Town Brunswick Georgia, with its Victorian commercial buildings, grand residential homes, historic banquet and reception facilities, and delightful bed & breakfast inns.
Brunswick GA
Historic Buildings
The Ferguson House, circa 1912, is located at 1200 Prince Street.

The house at 900 Carpenter Street is an example of the Stick style of architecture. The Nightingale-Hughes House was built circa 1875 and still has the original detached kitchen. The Cook House at 908 Union Street was not originally built there. Built sometime before 1860 somewhere in South Carolina, the house reputedly traveled down the Altamaha River to its present location.

The Dexter House at 928 Union Street is another example of Stick design. It was built in the late 1870s.

The Atkinson House at 802 London Street is the twin to 902 Wright Square. Originally built in 1890, it was rebuilt when it partially burned in 1929. It again experienced renovation in the late 1970s when the columns were removed from the front porch.

Built of cypress wood, the Nightingale House stands at 803 London Steet. It was built circa 1895.

The McKinnon House, at 1001 Egmont Street, was built in 1903.

The first federal judge in Glynn County, Frank M. Scarlett, was born at 902 Wright Square in the Scarlett House. Built in 1890, its twin is located at 802 London Street.

The Burford House was built circa 1887 at 1017 Egmont Street.

Currently called the "Veranda House," the Marlin House was built in 1890 at 1325 Egmont St.

Known as the finest example of Carpenter Gothic architecture in Georgia, the Mahoney-McGarvey-Trendition House stands at 1705 Reynolds Street. The house was built in 1891. The Mahoney and McGarvey names come from families who resided in the house. Trendition is the name of a store that was located in the house more recently.

Brunswick Old Town Historic District is bounded by 1st, Bay, New Bay, "H" and Cochran Streets. Brunswick is west of Jekyll Island at the junction of 1-95 and US 82.
For Italian Renaissance style, see the Church House at 815 Union Street. The house was built in 1929 and originally served as the home for the president of the Georgia Veneer and Package Company, A.L. Church.

At 811 Union Street, you will find the duBignon-McCullough House, circa 1869. Another example of Second Empire style, this house is one of the oldest remaining homes in Brunswick.

The Welsh-Parham House at 801 Union Street is one of the few homes in Brunswick to have a partial basement. Built in 1907, it is a two-story Craftsman style home.
Liberty Ship Memorial in Brunswick GA
The magnificent Tudor design Dunwoody House sits at 729 Union Street. The house was built in 1897 and the brick veneer was added in the 1930s.

The only home in Brunswick to have a full basement is the duBignon-Lockwood House at 721 Union Street. The Queen Anne home was built circa 1896.

•The Leavy House, circa 1903, at 705 Union Street was built as a twin to its neighbor.

•The Debellis House is located at 508 First Avenue. Thought to have been built sometime in the 1860s, this is one of the oldest residential buildings in Brunswick.

At #1 Frederica Square stands the Baumgartner House. No nails were used in the construction of this home in 1890- only wooden pegs.

•The Brantley House, circa 1890, at 807 Dartmouth Street was rendered unrecognizable by the 1898 hurricane and following reconstruction.

The duBignon Family built the duBignon House in 1890 at 716 Union Street and is a standard example of Folk Victorian architecture.

•The Thompson House at 812 Ellis Street was originally built in 1890 on Ellis Street. The house was moved to its current location in 1984. This "shotgun" house is also an example of Folk Victorian architecture.

•The Major Downing House at 825 Egmont Street hosts a bed and breakfast inn now. It took two years to build the house circa 1886.

At 902 Halifax Square, the Baker House was built in 1896. It is a Queen Anne structure. Originally facing Halifax Square, the Whittle-Sims House was remodeled to face its Prince Street. Its renovation in the 1920s also changed its architectural style. Despite its almost total metamorphosis, the house at 1102 Prince Street dates back to 1897.

Captain Lamb built the Lamb House at 1110 Prince Street for his bride in 1895. The captain has been credited with bringing the first camellia to Glynn County.
The Ferguson House, circa 1912, is located at 1200 Prince Street.

The house at 900 Carpenter Street is an example of the Stick style of architecture. The Nightingale-Hughes House was built circa 1875 and still has the original detached kitchen. The Cook House at 908 Union Street was not originally built there. Built sometime before 1860 somewhere in South Carolina, the house reputedly traveled down the Altamaha River to its present location.

•The Dexter House at 928 Union Street is another example of Stick design. It was built in the late 1870s.

•The Atkinson House at 802 London Street is the twin to 902 Wright Square. Originally built in 1890, it was rebuilt when it partially burned in 1929. It again experienced renovation in the late 1970s when the columns were removed from the front porch.

Built of cypress wood, the Nightingale House stands at 803 London Steet. It was built circa 1895.

•The McKinnon House, at 1001 Egmont Street, was built in 1903.

The first federal judge in Glynn County, Frank M. Scarlett, was born at 902 Wright Square in the Scarlett House. Built in 1890, its twin is located at 802 London Street.

•The Burford House was built circa 1887 at 1017 Egmont Street.

Currently called the "Veranda House," the Marlin House was built in 1890 at 1325 Egmont St.

Known as the finest example of Carpenter Gothic architecture in Georgia, the Mahoney-McGarvey-Trendition House stands at 1705 Reynolds Street. The house was built in 1891. The Mahoney and McGarvey names come from families who resided in the house. Trendition is the name of a store that was located in the house more recently.

Brunswick Old Town Historic District is bounded by 1st, Bay, New Bay, "H" and Cochran Streets. Brunswick is west of Jekyll Island at the junction of 1-95 and US 82.
Religious Institutions in historic Brunswick GA
Advent Christian Church, 1812 Ellis Street
First African Baptist Church, 1416 Amherst Street
First Baptist Church, 708 Mansfield Street
First Bryant Baptist Church, 1100 F Street
First Presbyterian Church, 1105 Union Street
St. Anthanasius Episcopal Church, 1321 Albany Street
St. Francis Xavier Church, 510 Howe Street
St. Marks Episcopal Church, 900 Gloucester Street
St. Paul A.M.E. Church, 1520 Wolfe Street
Shilo Baptist Church, 1221 Egmont Street
Temple Beth Tefilloh, 1326 Egmont Street: this was the first temple designed by a Jewish architect, Eichberg, in America
Historic Brunswick GA Squares
Machan Square Jekyll Square Queen Square Hanover Square: the original site of the municipality of Brunswick when city was first founded in 1771. Confederate soldiers and city leaders destroyed most everything during Civil War, as they evacuated the city. The city slowly rebuilt after the Civil War. A confederate memorial is located within the square.

King Square Crispen Square St. Simons Square Frederica Square Satilla Square
Halifax Square Wright Square Hillsborough Square Blythe Square Hillary Square
Historical Markers
•Civil War Memorial- Hanover Square Mark Carr Plantation Site- 600 block of Union Street, Mark Carr was Brunswick's first settler, he established his plantation in the 1740s

•Hart Family Colonial Homestead - intersection of 4th Avenue and Lanier Boulevard

•Lovers Oak - 800 block of Albany Street

•Sidney Lanier - 1000 block of Albany Street Oak Grove Cemetery - 1500 block of Mansfield Street: this was the original cemetery for Brunswick and still has one wooden tombstone

•Glynn County Courthouse - 600 block of G Street

•Lanier's Oak - 1600 block of Highway 17

•World War Two Liberty Ship Model - intersection of U.S. 17 and St. Simons Island Cswy.
Contact and Directions
From I-95: Exit 36A south on Route 341, approx 4 miles into Historic Downtown Brunswick.

From Route 17 and/or Jekyll Island: Turn west onto Gloucester St, directly opposite the Marshes of Glynn Overlook Park. Continue 1 mile into Historic Downtown Brunswick.

From St. Simons Island: At the end of Torras Causeway, turn left onto Route 17. Go 1 mile and turn right onto Gloucester St, opposite the Marshes of Glynn Overlook Park. Continue 1 mile into Historic Downtown Brunswick.


Visit:
BulletNPS Augusta Sites
BulletNPS Coast and Islands
BulletGA Coast and Islands
BulletGA Coast Events
BulletCoast Free Things To Do
BulletGA Coast Fishing Lakes
BulletGA Coast Museums
BulletGA Coast Shopping
BulletGA Coast and Islands Map & Travel Region


Bullet

HomeFree Stuff To Do - Festivals & Events - State Parks - County Parks  - Georgia National ForestsWildlife Areas    
WRD Archery & Firearms Ranges - National Parks Services Sites - Horseback Riding Trails - OHV Trails - Bike Trails - Driving Tours
Covered Bridges - Historic Sites - Museums - Coast & Islands - Rivers - Lakes - Fishing Lakes - Waterfalls - Gardens - Planetariums -
 - Maps - Videos - Safety Tips - Dept of Labor - Privacy Policy -  Contact

Website created and Copyright ©1999 - 2017 by. All rights are reserved. Website updated on 12/1/2017