Welcome to www.n-georgia.com Visit the Kennesaw House in Marietta Georgia - Built as a cotton warehouse by John Glover in 1845, the Kennesaw House is one of Marietta's oldest buildings.
Free Stuff To Do In Georgia Georgia Overnight Accommodations Shopping in Georgia Videos of places and things to do in Georgia Georgia Jobs and GA Department of Labor Weather in Georgia Maps of places in Georgia Contact Us Advertise in N-Georgia.com

Home
Georgia Travel Regions
Georgia Coast and Islands
Georgia Festivals and Events
Georgia Lakes
Georgia Fishing Lakes
Georgia Rivers
Georgia Waterfalls
Georgia National Parks
Georgia State Parks
County Parks
Georgia Wildlife
Georgia U S Forests
Georgia Farmers Markets
Georgia Gardens
Georgia Civil War Sites
Georgia Historic Sites
Georgia Museums
Georgia Plantations and Observatories
Georgia Audubon Society
Georgia Covered Bridges
Georgia Driving Tours
Georgia OHV Trails
Georgia Bike Trails
Georgia Horseback Riding Trails
Ourdoor Activities Safety Tips
Georgia Tourist Centers
Dix Fletcher purchased the warehouse in 1855, and after remodeling it, opened the Fletcher House Hotel in its place. During the early years of the Civil War, the hotel was used as a Confederate hospital and a morgue. In addition, Andrews' Raiders stayed in a second floor room on the evening prior to their theft of the steam engine, "The General."

As the war was nearing its end in July of 1864, the Union Army took over the building, and when General Sherman came through town on his "March to the Sea," he did not burn the Fletcher House. Sherman spared the hotel because Dix Fletcher was a Mason and because his son-in-law, Henry Cole, was a Yankee spy. However, the fourth floor did catch fire as ashes from other burning buildings blew onto the roof, and the fourth floor was not rebuilt.

After repairs to the Fletcher House were completed in 1867, Dix Fletcher reopened the hotel, and renamed it the Kennesaw House. The Kennesaw House remained a hotel until the 1920s, when the first floor was converted to retail shops, leaving the hotel on the second and third floors.

In 1979, the building was gutted, and converted into an office complex. Various businesses and restaurants occupied the building for the next 14 years, until the Downtown Marietta Georgia Development Authority purchased the building. Then, under the direction of Marietta City Councilman Dan Cox, the second and third floors were completely renovated to house the Marietta Museum of History on the second floor and offices on the third.
Hours and Fees
Museum Hours: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday - Saturday. Admission: Call for cost
Phone, Address and Website
Phone: 770-794-5710 - Address: 1 Depot St., Marietta Georgia - Kennesaw House Website.
Kennesaw House
Loading


Visit:
BulletGeorgia Civil War Battles
BulletGeorgia Civil War Sites


HomeFree Stuff To Do - Festivals & Events - State Parks - County Parks  - Georgia National ForestsWildlife Areas    
WRD Archery & Firearms Ranges - National Parks Services Sites - Horseback Riding Trails - OHV Trails - Bike Trails - Driving Tours
Covered Bridges - Civil War Sites - Historic Sites - Museums - Coast & Islands - Rivers - Lakes - Fishing Lakes - Waterfalls - Gardens - Planetariums - Audubon Society - Farmer Markets - Travel Regions - Tourist Centers
Visitor Centers - Maps - Videos - Safety Tips  - Lodging - Shopping - Dept of Labor - Privacy Policy -  Contact

Website created and Copyright ©1999 - 2013 by Aha-Media.com. All rights are reserved. Website updated on 1/18/2013