Welcome to www.n-georgia.com Discover Historical Grant Chapel Presbyterian Church in Darien Georgia - This church was founded in 1892. The church was organized from the First Presbyterian Church of Darien where white and black members worshipped together.
Free Stuff To Do In Georgia Georgia Overnight Accommodations Shopping in Georgia Videos of places and things to do in Georgia Georgia Jobs and GA Department of Labor Weather in Georgia Maps of places in Georgia Contact Us Advertise in N-Georgia.com

Home
Georgia Travel Regions
Georgia Coast and Islands
Georgia Festivals and Events
Georgia Lakes
Georgia Fishing Lakes
Georgia Rivers
Georgia Waterfalls
Georgia National Parks
Georgia State Parks
County Parks
Georgia Wildlife
Georgia U S Forests
Georgia Farmers Markets
Georgia Gardens
Georgia Civil War Sites
Georgia Historic Sites
Georgia Museums
Georgia Plantations and Observatories
Georgia Audubon Society
Georgia Covered Bridges
Georgia Driving Tours
Georgia OHV Trails
Georgia Bike Trails
Georgia Horseback Riding Trails
Ourdoor Activities Safety Tips
Georgia Tourist Centers
The construction of Grant Chapel's original wood-frame building was financed by individual contributions of members of the Session and some Deacons, and a contribution from Savannah Presbytery. By the end of 1890, the structure facing North Way, on the site of the present church, had been completed and efforts were made to secure a minister.

On January 10, 1892, a small group of black members, led by Rev. Joseph D. Taylor, Sr, became an organized body. The church was originally organized under the name Second Presbyterian Church of Darien.

On June 12, 1892, the name was officially changed to Grant Chapel in honor of John Grant, a highly-respected black member of the First Presbyterian Church, who had died in 1887, just a few years before the new church was completed.

Grant Chapel grew in membership and in leadership under the long-term pastorate of Rev. Taylor. He served faithfully as minister, educator and community leader for 35 years until his passing on August 24, 1927. Each minister serving since the passing of Rev. Taylor came with a Christian attitude, sincerity of purpose and willingness to keep the church moving harmoniously. Special projects and organizational activities have been accomplished during each pastorate.

It was during the pastorate of Rev. Bridges Edwards, Sr, that a major building program was launched, which resulted in Grant Chapel's present structure. Work on the new sanctuary and annex began in early 1954. The new edifice was dedicated on July 31, 1955 with the sermon being delivered by Rev. Ewell L. Nelson, executive Secretary of Home Mission in Savannah Presbytery.

Grant Chapel is presently providing service in the spiritual life of the community.
Address
Hwy. 17 at Munro Street, Munro St, Darien Georgia 31305
2 Seagulls
Loading


Coast Travel Region Map
BulletPrint a Georgia Coast and Islands Travel Region Map

Visit:
BulletSavannah Squares
BulletCoast and Islands National Parks
BulletGeorgia Coast - Islands
BulletGA Coast Events
BulletCoast Free Things To Do
BulletGA Coast Fishing Lakes
BulletGeorgia Coast Museums
BulletGeorgia Coast Shopping
BulletGA Coast and Islands Map & Travel Region

HomeFree Stuff To Do - Festivals & Events - State Parks - County Parks  - Georgia National ForestsWildlife Areas    
WRD Archery & Firearms Ranges - National Parks Services Sites - Horseback Riding Trails - OHV Trails - Bike Trails - Driving Tours
Covered Bridges - Historic Sites - Museums - Coast & Islands - Rivers - Lakes - Fishing Lakes - Waterfalls - Gardens - Planetariums -
 - Maps - Videos - Safety Tips - Dept of Labor - Privacy Policy -  Contact

Website created and Copyright ©1999 - 2017 by. All rights are reserved. Website updated on 9/3/2017