Welcome to www.n-georgia.com Explore the Historic Dell Goodall House in Sylvania Georgia - The former Screven County seat is said to have been destroyed by a curse. This 1815 house is all that remains. Stay and Play in GA!
Free Stuff To Do In Georgia Georgia Overnight Accommodations Shopping in Georgia Videos of places and things to do in Georgia Georgia Jobs and GA Department of Labor Weather in Georgia Maps of places in Georgia Contact Us Advertise in N-Georgia.com

Home
Georgia Travel Regions
Georgia Coast and Islands
Georgia Festivals and Events
Georgia Lakes
Georgia Fishing Lakes
Georgia Rivers
Georgia Waterfalls
Georgia National Parks
Georgia State Parks
County Parks
Georgia Wildlife
Georgia U S Forests
Georgia Farmers Markets
Georgia Gardens
Georgia Civil War Sites
Georgia Historic Sites
Georgia Museums
Georgia Plantations and Observatories
Georgia Audubon Society
Georgia Covered Bridges
Georgia Driving Tours
Georgia OHV Trails
Georgia Bike Trails
Georgia Horseback Riding Trails
Ourdoor Activities Safety Tips
Georgia Tourist Centers
MGeneral Information
Dell-Goodall HouseThe Goodall home is located about six miles north of Sylvania on U. S. Highway 301. The house was built in 1815 for Seaborn Goodall, a prominent Jacksonborough citizen, who was clerk of Superior Court.

Jacksonborough was at that time the county seat of Screven County. The survival of the house is significant because it is the only structure left standing in Old Jacksonborough. According to history, this is due to a curse placed upon the town by Lorenzo Dow, an itinerant Methodist minister, who was run out of town by the “Rowdies.” After being befriended by Seaborn Goodall, who gave Dow shelter for the night, the minister stopped on the bridge the next morning and asked God to place a curse upon the town with the exception of the Goodall home.
Within 20 years the town had ceased to exist. There were unexplained fires, mysterious winds that ripped roofs from houses, flash floods that emanated from the usually quiet creek. The curse was fulfilled by a variety of means, and the county seat was moved to Sylvania in 1847 after the town was virtually deserted. After 1870 the Goodall house belonged to the family of Dr. Julian P. Dell of Savannah, a retired Methodist Minister and has come to be known as the Dell-Goodall home.

The sturdy frame edifice was made of hand-hewed logs, with matched shoulders and hand-whittled peg construction. The Georgia pine used by the builder toughened long ago to rock-hardness. The house may be viewed down a long avenue of moss-draped trees. It was a handsome house at one time with gracious proportions and pleasing landscaping. General Sherman camped at the Goodall house overnight in his famous march to the sea.

The house was restored by the Brier Creek Chapter of the DAR.
Hours
Call for free tours.
Amenities
Parking and Accessibility for mobility-impaired.
Location and Website
Address: US Hwy 301, State Rt. 24, Sylvania Georgia 30467 - The Goodall House Website
Goodall House Marker
 
Loading


Magnolia Midlands Travel Region Printable Map
Print a Magnolia Midlands Travel Region Map

Bullet

Magnolia Midlands Fun:
BulletFestivals & Events
BulletFree Indoor Activities
BulletFree Outdoor Activities
BulletTourist Centers
BulletTravel Region Info

HomeFree Stuff To Do - Festivals & Events - State Parks - County Parks  - Georgia National ForestsWildlife Areas    
WRD Archery & Firearms Ranges - National Parks Services Sites - Horseback Riding Trails - OHV Trails - Bike Trails - Driving Tours
Covered Bridges - Civil War Sites - Historic Sites - Museums - Coast & Islands - Rivers - Lakes - Fishing Lakes - Waterfalls - Gardens - Planetariums - Audubon Society - Farmer Markets - Travel Regions - Tourist Centers
Visitor Centers - Maps - Videos - Safety Tips  - Lodging - Shopping - Dept of Labor - Privacy Policy -  Contact

Website created and Copyright ©1999 - 2013 by Aha-Media.com. All rights are reserved. Website updated on 1/18/2013