Welcome to www.n-georgia.com Discover St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church - In December of 1873, the Honorable Rev. James Wentworth Leigh, Dean of Hereford Cathedral in England, held services for former slaves in a small room on Major Pierce Butler's island.
Free Stuff To Do In Georgia Georgia Overnight Accommodations Shopping in Georgia Videos of places and things to do in Georgia Georgia Jobs and GA Department of Labor Weather in Georgia Maps of places in Georgia Contact Us Advertise in N-Georgia.com

Home
Georgia Travel Regions
Georgia Coast and Islands
Georgia Festivals and Events
Georgia Lakes
Georgia Fishing Lakes
Georgia Rivers
Georgia Waterfalls
Georgia National Parks
Georgia State Parks
County Parks
Georgia Wildlife
Georgia U S Forests
Georgia Farmers Markets
Georgia Gardens
Georgia Civil War Sites
Georgia Historic Sites
Georgia Museums
Georgia Plantations and Observatories
Georgia Audubon Society
Georgia Covered Bridges
Georgia Driving Tours
Georgia OHV Trails
Georgia Bike Trails
Georgia Horseback Riding Trails
Ourdoor Activities Safety Tips
Georgia Tourist Centers
The services for the freed slaves continued on Mr. Butler's property, and twenty-two persons were confirmed by Bishop Beckwith in 1874.

During 1874-75, parishioners asked Father Leigh to hold services in Darien as well, and in 1875 members of the congregation began construction of the present St. Cyprian's church. The land was donated by Frances Kemble Butler Leigh, the wife of Father Leigh. Funds for the building came from benefactors in England and the North. The building was consecrated in 1876 and named for Cyprian of Carthage, a martyred African saint of the early church.

Father Leigh returned to England in 1877. With a notable exception, St. Cyprian's has traditionally been served by the clergy of St. Andrew's. However, from 1892 through 1914, St. Cyprians was under the direction of the Rev. Ferdinand M Mann, an African American priest of the church. It was during this time that St. Cyprian's school was established for the education of African American children in Darien.

The school served the community for many years, and several of the current members of St. Cyprian's received their initial education at the school.

St. Cyprian's is constructed of tabby according to the building methods of mid 19th Century coastal Georgia. it is believed to be one of the largest tabby structures still in use in Georgia.

The building suffered extensive damaged in the hurricane of 1896 and by another storm in 1898, but in each case the building was repaired and the congregation continued to worship.
Contact and Address
Phone: 912 437-4562 - Located Fort King George Drive, Darien, Georgia 31305
St. Syprians Episcopal Church in Darien GA
Loading


Coast Travel Region Map
BulletPrint a Georgia Coast and Islands Travel Region Map

Visit:
BulletSavannah Squares
BulletCoast and Islands National Parks
BulletGeorgia Coast - Islands
BulletGA Coast Events
BulletCoast Free Things To Do
BulletGA Coast Fishing Lakes
BulletGeorgia Coast Museums
BulletGeorgia Coast Shopping
BulletGA Coast and Islands Map & Travel Region


HomeFree Stuff To Do - Festivals & Events - State Parks - County Parks  - Georgia National ForestsWildlife Areas    
WRD Archery & Firearms Ranges - National Parks Services Sites - Horseback Riding Trails - OHV Trails - Bike Trails - Driving Tours
Covered Bridges - Historic Sites - Museums - Coast & Islands - Rivers - Lakes - Fishing Lakes - Waterfalls - Gardens - Planetariums -
 - Maps - Videos - Safety Tips - Dept of Labor - Privacy Policy -  Contact

Website created and Copyright ©1999 - 2017 by. All rights are reserved. Website updated on 12/1/2017