Welcome to www.n-georgia.com Discover Historical First Presbyterian Church in Darien Georgia - The First Presbyterian Church of Darien is considered to be the first congregation of the Presbyterian denomination to be established in Georgia.
Free Stuff To Do In Georgia Georgia Overnight Accommodations Shopping in Georgia Videos of places and things to do in Georgia Georgia Jobs and GA Department of Labor Weather in Georgia Maps of places in Georgia Contact Us Advertise in N-Georgia.com

Home
Georgia Travel Regions
Georgia Coast and Islands
Georgia Festivals and Events
Georgia Lakes
Georgia Fishing Lakes
Georgia Rivers
Georgia Waterfalls
Georgia National Parks
Georgia State Parks
County Parks
Georgia Wildlife
Georgia U S Forests
Georgia Farmers Markets
Georgia Gardens
Georgia Civil War Sites
Georgia Historic Sites
Georgia Museums
Georgia Plantations and Observatories
Georgia Audubon Society
Georgia Covered Bridges
Georgia Driving Tours
Georgia OHV Trails
Georgia Bike Trails
Georgia Horseback Riding Trails
Ourdoor Activities Safety Tips
Georgia Tourist Centers
The First Presbyterian Church of Darien is considered to be the first congregation of the Presbyterian denomination to be established in Georgia.

The Darien church was founded in January 1736 by Scottish Highlanders from Inverness, Scotland, only three years after the Georgia colony was established at Savannah by James Edward Oglethorpe.

The Rev. John McLeod of Scotland was the first pastor of the Darien church, which prospered during the colonial era in the formative years of the town and colony.

The Darien Presbyterian Church was re-organized in 1809 with the constitution of the present permanent church and congregation.

In 1820, the church constructed a permanent edifice on the east side of the present Highway 17 near the later county jail site. The two most prominent antebellum pastors of the Darien Presbyterian Church were Nathaniel A. Pratt (1826-1840), who later was one of the founders of the town of Roswell in north Georgia, and Francis R. Goulding (1856-1862) who wrote the well-known novel "The Young Marooners" among other popular works of fiction during the period.

The antebellum church structure served the congregation until 1863 when Darien was burned by Union forces during a raid on the town by troops stationed on nearby St. Simons Island. The church site was later given to the First African Baptist Church whose congregation built their present church in 1868.

A new wooden Presbyterian church was built in 1876 on the site of the present church on a plot owned by the congregation since the 1820s (Bayard Square). An accidental fire destroyed the building in 1899, although church records (dating back to 1820) and the pulpit furniture were saved. A new tabby Gothic-Victorian church edifice, the present structure, was built and consecrated to the glory of God on September 2, 1900.

In 2000, the Darien Georgia congregation held special observances in recognition of the 100th anniversary of the building.
First Presbyterian Church in Darien GA
The First Presbyterian Historic Marker reads:
The historical marker reads: "Darien was the Cradle of Presbyterianism in Georgia, as the first Presbyterian church in the Colony was established by Scottish Highlanders who settled this town in January, 1736.

The Scots brought with them their minister, the Rev. John McLeod , of the Isle of Skye. Immediately upon their arrival at what is now Lower Bluff, one mile East of this site, they built a Chapel for Divine Worship. There the Rev. John McLeod preached during his ministry in Darien. Later, the Meeting House was built about eight miles North of Darien on the Savannah road, to serve the people of St. Andrew's Parish, at that time almost entirely Presbyterian.

In 1808 the First Presbyterian Church of Darien received its charter, and a building was erected near the center of the town.

This was later burned, and for a time services were held in another building in the vicinity. A place of worship, built on this site and dedicated in January of 1876, was later destroyed by fire. The present edifice was constructed in 1900."
Contact and Address
Phone: 912-437-3006 - Location: 304 3rd Street, W., Darien Georgia 31305
First Presbyterian Chuch of Darien Historical Marker
Loading


Visit:
BulletCoast and Islands National Parks
BulletGeorgia Coast - Islands
BulletGA Coast Events
BulletCoast Free Things To Do
BulletGA Coast Fishing Lakes
BulletGeorgia Coast Museums
BulletGeorgia Coast Shopping
BulletGA Coast and Islands Map & Travel Region


HomeFree Stuff To Do - Festivals & Events - State Parks - County Parks  - Georgia National ForestsWildlife Areas    
WRD Archery & Firearms Ranges - National Parks Services Sites - Horseback Riding Trails - OHV Trails - Bike Trails - Driving Tours
Covered Bridges - Historic Sites - Museums - Coast & Islands - Rivers - Lakes - Fishing Lakes - Waterfalls - Gardens - Planetariums -
 - Maps - Videos - Safety Tips - Dept of Labor - Privacy Policy -  Contact

Website created and Copyright ©1999 - 2017 by. All rights are reserved. Website updated on 9/3/2017