Welcome to www.n-georgia.com Discover Columbus Iron Works and Convention Center - For over a century, the Columbus Iron Works, from its plant south of the Dillingham Street Bridge, furnished goods for homes, farms, steamboats, and mills. Stay and Play in Georgia!
Free Stuff To Do In Georgia Georgia Overnight Accommodations Shopping in Georgia Videos of places and things to do in Georgia Georgia Jobs and GA Department of Labor Weather in Georgia Maps of places in Georgia Contact Us Advertise in N-Georgia.com

Home
Georgia Travel Regions
Georgia Coast and Islands
Georgia Festivals and Events
Georgia Lakes
Georgia Fishing Lakes
Georgia Rivers
Georgia Waterfalls
Georgia National Parks
Georgia State Parks
County Parks
Georgia Wildlife
Georgia U S Forests
Georgia Farmers Markets
Georgia Gardens
Georgia Civil War Sites
Georgia Historic Sites
Georgia Museums
Georgia Plantations and Observatories
Georgia Audubon Society
Georgia Covered Bridges
Georgia Driving Tours
Georgia OHV Trails
Georgia Bike Trails
Georgia Horseback Riding Trails
Ourdoor Activities Safety Tips
Georgia Tourist Centers
As the Confederate Naval Iron Works, it supplied equipment for Confederate ships. The company's products and its steady growth were important factors in the economic development of Columbus Georgia and the region.

In 1853, William R. Brown, who had operated a foundry since the 1840s, organized the larger Columbus Iron Works. This expansion mirrored the transformation of Columbus Georgia from a frontier town (1828) into one of the earliest and largest southern industrial centers; by 1860, its textile production ranked second within the South.

Reflecting this vitality, the Columbus Iron Works, though less than a decade old in 1860, already manufactured a wide variety of merchandise: kettles and ovens; brass castings; cast-iron columns and store fronts; sugar, a grist, and saw mills; and steam engines to power these mills, cotton gins, and riverboats.

The Civil War expanded the capacity and scope of the Columbus Iron Works and the city's other industries. As the textile mills tripled their output and new companies started manufacturing uniforms, swords, pistols, and rifles, the Iron Works began fabricating small cannons for local military units. These weapons included the "Ladies Defender," cast from brass collected by the city's women and the "Red Jacket," used by the Columbus Guards to salute Jefferson Davis at his inauguration in Montgomery.
By 1862, the Iron Works was molding and manufacturing mortars, brass twelve-pounders, and wrought iron rifled cannons under contract from the Confederate Ordinance Department. An experimental breech loading cannon revealed the expertise of the company's employees, but they only produced one.

In June of 1862, the Confederate Navy leased the Columbus Iron Works. James H. Warner, formerly a Chief Engineer in the U.S. Navy, converted the C. S. (Columbus Georgia) Naval Iron Works into the largest manufacturer of naval machinery within the Confederacy.

Its engines and boilers drove at least half of the steam-powered vessels built by the Confederacy, including the gunboat Chattahoochee and the ironclad Muscogee. (Portions of the Chattahoochee's engines, extremely rare Civil War artifacts, are preserved at the James W. Woodruff, Jr. Confederate Naval Museum).

The C.S. Naval Yard, a separate organization, built the Muscogee in cooperation with the adjacent C.S. Naval Iron Works. Workers from both facilities joined other militia units who tried to prevent General James Wilson from capturing Columbus Georgia on the night of April 16, 1865. The next morning, eight days after Robert E. Lee's surrender, Union troops burned the city's cotton warehouses, the Muscogee, and all the war-related industries, which collectively had supplied the Confederacy with more manufactured goods than any city except Richmond.

Now, the Columbus Georgia Convention and Trade Center is located in the Historic Columbus Iron Works. Painstakingly restored to its Civil War splendor, the Iron Works is situated on the banks of the Chattahoochee River, and the Trade Center is a local landmark of the downtown area.
Phone, Address and Website
Phone: 706-327-4522 - Address: 801 Front Ave., Columbus Georgia- Columbus Iron Works and Convention Center Website
Columbus Iron Works
 
Loading


Visit:
BulletGeorgia Civil War Battles
BulletGA Civil War Sites


Bullet

HomeFree Stuff To Do - Festivals & Events - State Parks - County Parks  - Georgia National ForestsWildlife Areas    
WRD Archery & Firearms Ranges - National Parks Services Sites - Horseback Riding Trails - OHV Trails - Bike Trails - Driving Tours
Covered Bridges - Civil War Sites - Historic Sites - Museums - Coast & Islands - Rivers - Lakes - Fishing Lakes - Waterfalls - Gardens - Planetariums - Audubon Society - Farmer Markets - Travel Regions - Tourist Centers
Visitor Centers - Maps - Videos - Safety Tips  - Lodging - Shopping - Dept of Labor - Privacy Policy -  Contact

Website created and Copyright ©1999 - 2013 by Aha-Media.com. All rights are reserved. Website updated on 1/18/2013